Hill's work in the group "The Fugees" or "Refugee Camp" are some of my all time favorite songs ( Ready or Not & Killing me Softly to name a few). A few months ago however, while listening to Lauryn Hill with friends we were all talking about how much we love her voice and then someone informed me that she was quoted saying "she's rather she her children starve than have white people listen to her music". This really offended and upset me, how could she say that? Up until today, when I actually looked up the facts on that story did I find out that it was really a rumor from when someone called into the Howard Stern show reporting they had heard Hill say that to MTV. She was quoted saying to Teen People in March of 1999 about the rumor:
“From this one broadcast, all of a sudden people who appreciated my music thought that there was something wrong with who I was and what I represented,” says Lauryn. Instead of letting a publicist act on her behalf, Lauryn, furious and very hurt, called a radio station herself to deny the charge. “I said, ‘How can I possibly be a racist? My music is universal music. And I believe in God. If I believe in God, then I have to love all of God’s creations. There can be no segregation.‘”
“Let me clarify this right now,” Lauryn responds forcefully. “I am not a racist. I love people who love God. I love good people. If you’re a good person with a good heart, you’re cool with me. And I hope I’m cool with you. There’s nothing racist about anything in my heart.“
I think that racism is terrible coming from any race. It is something that gets my blood boiling and makes me upset. While I truly believe that we have made obvious progressions, there is still evidence of racism everywhere. White people are not the only people that are racist, a lot of people have these tendencies without realizing them; due to different reasons: the way they grew up, the environment, the people they grew up with or come into everyday contact with. Another one of my favorite movies "Crash" deals with all sorts of different types of racism. I believe the stories that they share are sometimes views we wouldn't necessarily think of. I hope that our Nation keeps moving towards eliminating racism, but it is something that has to be a conscious effort -- BY EVERYONE.
I think Crash handles racism in Los Angeles very well.
ReplyDeleteI usually show that in my class that deals with race
ReplyDeleteNice job on your research! I think this is an excellent point and addresses many of my views on this issue as well. Also, Lauryn Hill is one of my absolute favorite singers too and when I read that she possibly said that, I got pretty upset myself. I never thought she would be the type of person to say something like that. The idea and issue of racism simply blows my mind and I can’t believe that so much of it still goes on today, and by all races, religions and genders. What is racism anyway? What makes people so much worse than others? We were all created in the same way and we are all human beings. I thought everyone was entitled to their own beliefs. I feel that you have made many good points in your blog and I truly enjoyed reading it. :)
ReplyDeleteI really like Lauryn Hill too! I liked how you wetn from Lauryn Hill and took the concept of racism and applied it to today.. Very cool. Anyway, I definitely agree with a lot of what you said in this post. Even though it’s obvious that we are starting to move forward (we have come far from the days of Black/White segregation), we still have a lot of work to do. With the election of President Obama, I felt very proud that the US finally trumped racism in order to come together for one cause. Like you said, people still have a lot of tendencies and skewed ways of thinking when it comes to race. Hopefully classes like AfAm will help those people in thinking outside of their box to realize that race is no means for discrimination.
ReplyDelete"While I truly believe that we have made obvious progressions, there is still evidence of racism everywhere. White people are not the only people that are racist, a lot of people have these tendencies without realizing them;"
ReplyDeleteThis stood out to me the most because I fully agree, racism and prejudice is EVERYWHERE coming from EVERYONE, whether its meant in a harsh manor or in a mere light heartedness. But this is something i feel everyone recognizes, just doesn't feel obligated or motivated to address. It is so much easier to not take charge or have the initiative and go on with all you've known than it is to fight for change, "ignorance is bliss." One might argue ignorance is bliss because change causes problems. Therein lies the problem though, change opens eyes, not ruffles feathers. If we want to be a world of success, we need to open eyes.
I am a big Lauryn Hill fan, and was completely releived to hear that the rumors are false. Racism is one of those things that some people just can't let go of. It makes absolutely no sense to me. I was raised that we are all children of God (or whatever higher power people believe in) and to embrace people with open arms. Was I the only one raised this way?? I know i wasn't the only one, however, it continues to become more frustrating as life goes on. There are some people in the world who have to pass judgement on others no matter what. Whatever their reasons for doing this, it's WRONG. I could go on for days, I just want every person, regardless of race, religion, or background to be given every opportunity they desire.
ReplyDelete