1. I have the privilege of waking up in a safe environment. I do not have to fear for my safety, the safety of my city, or of my Nation. I can wake up knowing that I will not be threatened by bombs, guns, or anything of that nature.
2. I have the privilege to go to college. My parents can afford to pay my way through college and I do not have to take out student loans.
3. I have the privilege of being able to communicate with others around me. Wether that be in the speech we communicate amongst ourselves, the words I write, the sentences I form, the words I read. I can communicate my thoughts and ideas in an intelligent manner.
4. I have the privilege of food. And not just food, but food choices. I can choose to eat something from my fridge or I can purchase food outside of my home.
5. I have the privilege of making my own money and using it to cover my expenses.
6. Today I took a test in my french class, it showed me I have the privilege of knowing another language and having the opportunity to go to a school where I was taught it at a young age.
7. Today I worked out at the gym, I have the privilege of having a healthy body where I can use all my ligaments properly and efficiently.
8. I have the privilege of owning my own computer. I lost my hard-drive yesterday to my laptop and realized what a privilege it is to have my own personal computer. I don't have the schedule my day around visiting the library, I can get on it whenever I need to.
9. I have the privilege of being able to travel. Of knowing people whom I can visit, having the means to make the trip, and the parents who allow it.
10. I have the privilege to buy new clothes. Not only for need-be reasons, but mainly for fashion.
11. I have the privilege of owning my own car. I can come and go as I please, and stay as I see fit. I have an open road in front of me
12. I have the privilege of air conditioning when I am hot (earlier today) and heat when I am cold (this evening) mostly where-ever I go.
13. I have the privilege of being relatively good-looking. I do believe pretty people have it easier (not saying that's me at all, but others... I think that it's true)
14. My family is probably one of my most essential privileges that I look over. My parents are very involved in what I do. They have always given my guidance, something I am sure I have yet to truly show my appreciation for.
15. I have the privilege of owning a cell phone. So does everyone in America these days, but we forget how helpful and essential to our everyday lives now until we loose it, break it, or let the battery die.
16. I am privileged to have amazing friends. Not only friend whom I am can trust, but ones who inspire me. Some people can take away from your life experience, everyone I keep near enriches mine.
17. I am privileged to own a navigation system in my car. I am terrible with directions, and on days like today when I get lost coming home from the airport and drive 20 minutes headed to the middle of nowhere, I realize what a life save (and time) it is.
18. I am privileged to have a bed to sleep in every night. Not only a bed, and a comfortable one at that, but a roof over my head and a place to securely store all my personal belongings.
19. I have the privilege of owning a personal computer. Yesterday my hard-drive crashed and I lost everything. Being without a computer for more than 24 hours was a world I was not used to. I am privileged to not have to work a schedule around being able to get to a comp.
20. I have the privilege of being able to speak my mind. It is my right and my privilege.
After reading McIntosh's article about privilege I took a whole new thinking to the word. The white privilege that is discussed is truly something that I have never realized before. It is like the male superiority, we don't want to see it or it has just become accepted. But by making these realizations and being them to other peoples attention is what will stop it from continuing.
I really liked your blog a lot! You made some really good points about the small things that we enjoy everyday. For instance, there are many people who are here on college loans and have the difficulty of not having a computer. It makes me realize how much I use my computer in order to keep up with school. It has to be twice as difficult for them to stay on schedule with their classes. Also, I liked your first privilege of waking up in a safe environment. It's becoming a sad reality that so many people around the world do not have this opportunity to live in a civilized nation where war and famine are not issues. I feel very deeply for those people and thank God everyday for my safety.
ReplyDelete